Anxiety disorder describes a group of mental health disorders involving debilitating fear and worry. It includes disorders such as generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorders. Depression is a mood disorder that can cause a persistent feeling of sadness. Anxiety and depression are like two sides of the same coin. However, they can coexist in the same person.
Everyone suffers from depression at some point in their life because of loss or other negative events. However, this is typically a short-lived condition. People who are clinically depressed, experience depression almost every day. When traditional depression treatment methods don’t work TMS therapy for depression can help.
The symptoms of depression include:
- Feelings of sadness and irritability
- Loss of interest in enjoyable activities such as hobbies, sex, sports, etc.
- Sleep disturbance, sleeping too much or too little.
- Increased or reduced appetite
- Lack of concentration
- Unexplained aches and pains
Depression can occur due to a variety of factors, such as:
- Biological changes – People suffering depression may also demonstrate changes in brain structures including shrinkage or inflammation of the hippocampus, thalamus, amygdala, and others
- Brain Chemistry – Depression appears to be related to the levels of 3 neurotransmitters, which are dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin. The lack of these neurotransmitters, a lack of precursors, or if the neurotransmitters are being removed too quickly causes depression
- Hormone imbalances – Imbalance in hormones such as thyroid hormone, estrogen, progesterone, or testosterone
- Inherited traits – People who suffer from depression often have family members who suffered from depression as well
Anxiety disorders include a group of disorders characterized by excessive nervousness, fear, and worry. Common anxiety disorders include obsessive-compulsive disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder, and panic attacks and require anxiety treatment. They affect 40 million people in the United States, making it the most common mental illness in the United States. TMS therapy for anxiety can relieve symptoms of anxiety.
The symptoms of anxiety include:
- Restlessness or feeling on edge
- Increased irritability
- Difficulty concentrating
- Sleep issues
The causes of anxiety disorders can include:
- Environmental – stress at work, home, etc
- Genetics – Anxiety disorders tend to run in the family
- Brain chemistry – imbalances in hormones such as progesterone and estrogen can lead to anxiety
- Withdrawal symptoms – During withdrawal from substances like alcohol, people may experience anxiety
Treatment for Anxiety and Depression
Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) therapy treats anxiety and depression with noninvasive technology. Magnetic field pulses help relieve symptoms by stimulating nerve cells in the brain. Most patients experience an improvement in mood after the first treatment.
Learn more about how TMS therapy helps mental health disorders.
Patients benefit the most from TMS therapy for depression and anxiety by combining it with traditional methods. Discuss using TMS therapy along with talk therapy and medication with your doctor.
If you are suffering from anxiety and depression, consider treatment at TMS Therapy Now. We offer treatment for depression and anxiety as well as substance abuse issues that often accompany them. Contact us today by calling 866.305.7668 to get the most out of anxiety and depression treatment.